What happens if my CSV file that I've downloaded doesn't open properly?Last Updated: March 03, 2020
If you're ever having problems opening up a CSV file that you've downloaded, it's likely due to a setting in your current set up.
For Example, Excel in Europe uses semicolons instead of commas as list separators, which results in a CSV file downloaded from CBI opening in one column rather than separate columns.
To make changes to how these files open, please follow the steps below:
- Open up a new workbook/blank sheet. Go to File > Import to open this menu, where you can select CSV
- Once you click Import you are asked to pick the file, then this pops up:
- Set the Data Type to "Delimited"
- Set the File Origin field to "Unicode (UTF-8)"
- Then click Next
- Ensure that Tab and Comma are checked, then click Finish
- Click OK in this menu, and you're done!