The CBI Salesforce integration is a new workflow and intelligence tool that brings CB Insights’ unparalleled private company data into an organization’s CRM. This makes our data more easily accessible, more widely available within the target organization, and better integrates into our clients’ existing workflows.
The salesforce integration is available for clients with the Analytics plan and higher (as well as all CBI for Sales plans). Consumption quotas are different for each plan and are noted at the bottom. Note also that you must have the Enterprise version or higher of Salesforce (i.e. need Salesforce API access).
CBI Intelligence right in your CRM
The above fields represent the entire CBI data that can be easily included in a profile. The depth of information is completely customizable however, so the client can choose what (or what not) to show.
How it Works
Once integrated, clients can add companies to be tracked in their Salesforce account from a variety of locations.
- Company Profile - Click the Salesforce button at the top of a profile. When the sync occurs the Salesforce button will change to reflect that the company was sent.
- Company and Deal Searches - After performing your search you can select the relevant companies and hit the Salesforce button at the top of search to send those companies to Salesforce. Note that you can only send 500 companies at a time, so if the search criteria are broad and return thousands of results selecting all will not work. If you send a company to Salesforce after it’s already been sent, it won’t decrement from the credits again.
- Saved Search for Company and Deal Searches - When saving a company or deal search, you can choose to automatically sync new matches to Salesforce. For example, if you save a search for Series A deals in within 10 miles of zip code 10001 today, any companies with new financing or exits that match that search tomorrow and beyond will be sent to your Salesforce account automatically. This sync will occur daily. Note that only new financings and exits will trigger a send to Salesforce. That means that the existing search results when you first performed and saved the search will not be sent to Salesforce. If you’d like to send those results to Salesforce, you can select them from the results page and send to Salesforce by hitting the Salesforce button.
Companies you’ve sent to Salesforce will be automatically updated with new CB Insights information when available. You will not be decremented another profile credit for data updates.
Setup / Integrating CBI for Salesforce
Before you can send information from your CB Insights account to your Salesforce account, there is setup that needs to be done. This should take no more than 10 minutes on average.
Steps 1-3 require a Salesforce admin at the organization. This admin does not have to be a CB Insights user. Step 4 requires a CB Insights user.
Step One: Install CBI Package
- Go to https://www.cbinsights.com/salesforce-package. You will be asked to log into Salesforce if not already logged in.
- Choose the appropriate user profile to install the package for
Step Two: Edit Account Page Layout
For this step we need a Salesforce admin at the organization. This admin does not have to be a CB Insights user.
- Go to the Account Page Layout Page (Setup -> Customize -> Accounts -> Page Layouts)
- Select ‘Edit’ next to the appropriate layout
- Drag a new Section to the location where CB Insights data will live
- Name the section ‘CB Insights’ and set the properties as you desire. Here’s our recommendation:
- Add all of the CBI data fields to the CB Insights section
(Note that you can add them all at once by selecting the first field, holding down the Shift button, and selecting the last field in order to highlight them all).
You can re-organize the fields as you desire, but note that you should pull down every field in order to ensure the integration works properly.
Step Three: Edit Account Validations
If you have custom Account validations, you will need to edit each validation slightly in order for CB Insights to send information to Salesforce.
- Go to the Account Validation Rules Page (Setup -> Customize -> Accounts -> Validation Rules)
- Click on ‘Edit’ for the first validation rule
- In the ‘Error Condition Formula’ append the following: && !CBIS__CBI_Bypass__c
- (Repeat for each validation rule)
This will only override validation rules for accounts automatically sent from CB Insights. For accounts added via other means (such as manual entry), validation rules will still be in effect.
Step Four: Try it out!
At this point someone in the organization with a CB Insights account will be able to the Salesforce integration. To make sure it’s working:
- Log into CB Insights
- Navigate to any company profile page
- Click on the ‘Salesforce’ button at the top
- Complete the authorization flow
- Once directed back to CB Insights, you’ll see the Salesforce button reflects the information has been sent
If you should encounter an error in this step, please let us know.
If you want to disconnect your CB Insights and Salesforce accounts:
- Within CB Insights: Go to https://www.cbinsights.com/your-account and click on ‘Disconnect Salesforce’
- This will delete all of your Salesforce user and token information from our system
- This will also disable any syncing of data from companies previously sent to Salesforce
- Within Salesforce navigate to Setup -> Manage Apps -> Connected Apps Usage and edit the ‘CB Insights’ app as desired
Can I customize the CBI data in Salesforce? You should not overwrite CBI data within Salesforce, as any time you refresh the data from CBI it will overwrite any changes.
Does CBI access my Salesforce data in any way? No, it is a one way sync.
How can I get a list of all the companies that I have synced? Currently you must request that information from CB Insights—which we will be happy to provide.
How do account limits / provisioning work? Each credit allows you to sync one profile. When a company is automatically updated with CB Insights information, you will not be decremented another profile credit. Consumption quotas for each plan below:
- Analytics - 5,000 profiles a year
- Insights - 10,000 profiles a year
- Answers - 30,000 profiles a year
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us at [email protected]